Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Frugal Story- Part One

In the spring of 2007, when I began my frugal life, I decided it would be easier for my family to adjust if we made only a few changes at a time, and we should start with small changes. After reading the 25 Ways to Save Money post at Frugal for Life I decided we could do three of them, right away.
1) I replaced my old lightbulbs in our most used rooms with CFL Bulbs. We changed the living room, 2 kids rooms and the kitchen. Since they are expensive we figured we would replace the other rooms one at a time over the next year.
2) We bought and installed a programable thermostat. And we set it's schedule to very low temperatures. Since it was spring, this wouldn't save us any money for at least 6 months, but I felt is was another "painless" step we could take right away.
3) I diluted all liquid soaps by 1/3. I added water to bottles of shampoo, hand soap, laundry detergent, dish soap, anything liguid. Some may think this reduces their affectiveness, but no one in my house even noticed. And all our stuff (hands, clothes, dishes) were just a clean. We still do this today. I also cut dryer sheets in 1/2.

This is were our journey began.. three little changes that would be the begining of a new lifestyle.

No comments: