Sunday, November 30, 2008

Feminism on Vacation

I thought I would share a 10 minute view of my life in the hopes of inspiring a friend who a bit blue on marriage. I have been married almost 10 year and I have learned not to expect to much, in the way of daily help, from my husband. Don't get me wrong, he is great in times of stress. And because I don't ask much him when I do ask- he does help. Once in awhile I will leave him a Honey-Do List, and he does it. What he misses are the daily things (picking up arond the house, dishes, disciplining kids)- these things he always seems to miss.

So back to my 10 minute blip..

We get home from our Hershey Park trip late Saturday night. I (yes, I)have just driven for 3.5 hours home. And we get out of the car and all 3 kids are awake enough to walk themselves inside. So I head to the door to unlock it. I had the keys since I had driven. We all walk in to the house- the older two crash on the couch with coats and shoes still on, while the little one says she has to go pottty. So I take her into the bathroom and she says she needs privacy. So I left her there and told her to call me when she was done.

As I head back throught the living room I asked the older two to take thier shoes and coats off and put them in their cubbies and to go put PJ's on. I then head out to the car and preceed to take totebags, stuffed animals, the snack bag and my pocketbook from the car and into the house. I again ask the older two to move, get shoes off and PJs on. I then head back outside to the car for a second trip and bring in the suitcase, our coats, and two bags from the gift shop. Realising I have the last of the stuff from the car, I lock it up and head inside locking the front door behind me. As I move like a "pack-mule" up the stairs and into the kitchen I hear the little one crying. I drop all the bags in the kitchen and head to the bathroom. She was ok- but had been calling for me and I hadn't answered her back. So I got her all situated and as she and I left the bathroom just as my husband comes out of the bedroom in his PJs!!! (I still have my coat on!) OOHHHH! I could only give him an evil look and continue with all that needed to be done as he sat down and turned the TV on.

Moral to the story... Men need training and you need to pick your battles.
I have 3 kids to train- so the husband , generally, goes untrained.
And this was just easier, at that late hour , to do it myself. No point is arguing with him when I still had a dozen things to do before I could sit down.

So if you are soured to marriage- realise that all marriages have good days and bad days- good minutes and bad minutes. And you really do need to pick your battles or you could fight constantly if you nit-pick thier every action.

So my feminist feeling is I am SuperMom and I will try to do it all!! It may not all get done- but I will try.

No comments: